Chuck Knoblog

You won't want to throw this one away.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

No Cele-Barry-tion

My friends, this is a sad time in baseball. When a young boy first learns that majestic lore of baseball history in records, he memorized the numbers 714 and 755. These totals were posted by two immortal athletes, embraced by baseball society. If another man came close to these marks, the young boy learned, it would be a time of jubilee and excitement, and the chase would grab the attention of every person who ever had a care for America's pastime. Televisions in every house would be tuned to the station on which his team was playing. At school, the boy and his friends would talk about what the announcer's celebratory call would be, and how excited they would be when another man entered the realm in which only 714 and 755 reside. These two men who have reached the plateau are today defined by their career home run totals. The possibility of a new number was supposed to invigorate this nation.
Sadly, as you know, this is not the case. Mr. Bonds just hit his 713th career homer, something many people did not think they would ever see. It will probably be mentioned in some newscasts, and get a small story somewhere in sports sections across the country. As a baseball fan, I am deeply saddened. I remember '98, when the most common discussion nationwide was about Mark and Sammy. Although that race appears to have been tainted, at least baseball again dominated America, as it had for so many decades during the first 2/3 of the 20th Century.
Now, Bonds' entry into the category of top two sluggers of all time is somewhat ignored. This post is not about steroids, but rather about how the entire controversy is drowning one of the greatest athletic achievements ever. I want to jump up and down every time Barry hits one. I want to have the desire to run to the television every time he's at bat. I want to hear people that never follow baseball discussing Barry's milestone home runs. But I realize that this cannot happen. We are mixed up in a debate over morality, truth and honesty. There is nothing I can do about the situation. I can only wait for a more celebrated athlete to reach these high numbers, and see baseball seep into the hearts of Americans once again. Alex and Albert, I am sitting here, waiting.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If my heart hadn't broken over Barry so many times before, this entry may have brought me to tears. I will always hold on to the little girl inside me who would excitedly exclaim "Dad, I'm seeing one of the greatest ever! Just like you watched Mickey and Willie dad!" I will watch with wide eyes and admiration when Barry breaks Ruth's record, because he will always be Barry, despite the scandals. Thanks Daniel for putting many of my own thoughts into words a little more eloquent than "but he's Barry!". Someday, baseball will come back.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that I, for one, will greatly enjoy the day that Babe Ruth's record is passed for the second time. While one can argue forever as to whether Bonds was a better player than the Babe, they both, as you so eloquently said, left an amazing legacy for baseball. I too find myself annoyed that Barry's accomplishments aren't receiving the attention that they deserve from the media, who instead focus on his alleged cheating if they mention him at all. When it is passed by an athlete who hasn't been "tainted", I look forward to the national celebration, but I will remember that it didn't happen for Bonds, and that may ruin it for me.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger MIB said…

    Like Daniel, I am saddened that Barry's march on Ruth and Aaron has not been/is not/will not be welcomed as the outstanding career achievement of a celebrated athlete, but as the manifestation of a spreading stain across the pages of baseball lore. We mourn baseball, we mourn ourselves. There are no tears for Barry, however; as Misha notes, he has brought this negativity upon himself, and upon his fans, who are left to wonder what might have been.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home